Oct 28 2013, 9:36pm CDT | by TV Line
With all apologies to God, the Seventh Commandment just went the way of Crystal Pepsi, the personal pager and NBC’s Smash. I mean, seriously, who can enthusiastically support laws against larcenous behavior now that “The Steal” has found its way to The Voice‘s Knockout Rounds?
Now, before you cry “blasphemy!” let’s remember that Christina Aguilera has the voice of an angel — and she supports this blatant brand of thievery. And it’s also worth noting that The Steal has another proponent in Blake Shelton, a fine, upstanding fella whose recent crusade against the Westboro Hatemongering Association* puts him squarely in the corner of all that’s good and righteous. (*I won’t use the word “church” to describe those crazies.)
I know, I know…The Steal doesn’t always mean that the show’s best artists are immune from gut-wrenching injustice — all together now, “Matt Cermanski & Ashley Dubose: Never Forget!” — but they definitely add a layer of suspense to the proceedings, at least when Carson Daly doesn’t announce that there’s one coming up right after the commercial break.
And at least in one case tonight — involving Blind Auditions standout Holly Henry — the presence of The Steal caused (at least for me) an intriguing crisis of conscience. Should a last-minute lifeline be thrown to a vocalist who displayed incredible early promise, but whose Knockout Rounds pitch wobbled like a restaurant table in need of a wadded-up napkin under one leg? (It may be an unpopular sentiment, but I say “Nyet!”)
Anyhow…enough stalling. Let me jump to a ranking of each of tonight’s Knockouts from least- to most-promising winner — with the caveat that I’ll be back overnight to add detailed reviews of every performance:
8. Team Blake: Nic Hawk (“Genie in a Bottle”) defeats Holly Henry (“Creep”)
7. Team Cee Lo: Kat Robichaud (“You Oughta Know”) defeats Monika Leigh (“Hit the Road Jack”)
6. Team Adam: Grey (“Already Gone”) defeats James Irwin (“Breakeven)
5. Team Xtina: Josh Logan (“Living for the City”) defeats Amber Nicole (“Mama Knows Best) — (Amber stolen by Cee Lo)
4. Team Cee Lo: Jonny Gray (“We Can Work It Out”) defeats Cole Vosbury (“Let Her Go”) — (Cole stolen by Blake)
3. Team Xtina: Olivia Henken (“You’re No Good”) defeats Destinee Quinn (“See You Again”)
2. Team Blake: Shelbie Z (“Last Name”) defeats Briana Cuoco (“Don’t Speak”)
1. Team Adam: Tessanne Chin (“Stronger [What Doesn't Kill You]“) defeats Ashley Dubose (“Hey Soul Sister”)/>/>/>/>/>/>/>
And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of tonight’s Knockout Rounds? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ decisions on Knockout wins or Steals? Sound off in the comments!
Source: TV Line/>
blog comments powered by Disqus