Jul 26 2013, 5:54pm CDT | by ABC News Radio
Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- With Amanda Bynes still hospitalized, a judge reportedly has delayed a decision on giving legal control over the troubled actress to her parents.
Bynes, 27, was originally going to be held 72 hours for a mental health evaluation after authorities accused her of starting a fire on a residential driveway in Thousand Oaks, Calif., earlier this week.
After the incident, Bynes’ parents filed for conservatorship, where Amanda would lose the right to make even basic decisions if the court deemed her unable to meet basic needs for food, shelter and clothing. They would be able to decide where she lives and who she spends time with.
Tamar Arminak, a lawyer for the parents, Lynn, 66, and Rick Bynes, 68, told People that the parents filed for an emergency ruling thinking their daughter would be out of the hospital in three days. Now that she is detained for two weeks, the judge will take his time with the decision.
Arminak could not be reached by ABC News, and Rick Bynes has declined to comment.
A call to Amanda Bynes’ court-appointed attorney, Mary Shea, was not immediately returned.
With Amanda Bynes’ freedom at stake, Reiser wants to speak with the actress before giving her over to her parents. Reiser set a new court date for Aug. 9, where she will be present.
The judge also ordered a formal report from the doctors treating the former teen star.
The court’s decision to extend Amanda Bynes’ detention from three days to 14 was made Thursday night.
“My clients only want the best for their daughter,” Arminak told the People on the parents’ behalf.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>
Source: ABC News Radio
blog comments powered by Disqus